Whether you’re hitting the road for business or pleasure, you may be concerned about keeping your iPhone or Android smartphone charged and at the ready for whatever you encounter. It’s not always easy to find a place to plug in your charger, after all.
From helping with navigation and finding lodging and places to eat, to staying connected with family and friends, the more juice you have for your device, the more pleasant your road trip will be. With that in mind, here are 5 tips to help you save battery power while traveling.
How You Can Make Your Battery Last Longer
A dying battery in your mobile device can certainly put a damper on your travels. Try any or all of these tips to maximize the amount of smartphone power at your disposal:
1. Turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth whenever you are not using these services. Otherwise, your device will burn battery power searching for network connections, noted How-To Geek.
Consider a slow drive through a shopping center in a city you’ve never visited before, with hundreds of different stores broadcasting their Wi-Fi address, prompting your phone to use more power even though you don’t need to go online at the moment.
2. Disable notifications. Do you really need to know how many new app updates are available for your device while you’re about to go sightseeing? Have your phone only display the most relevant updates, if any, during your time away from home.
3. Turn on your iPhone’s auto-brightness setting, which, as Mashable pointed out, is easily accomplished by going to “Settings,” then “General,” and then “Accessibility” to toggle this option to “On.” Doing so will ensure that the screen isn’t brighter than it needs to be (a major power drain).
4. Switch to Airplane Mode whenever you are in a location that has no cell service, so your phone won’t use up electrons as it keeps trying to establish a connection.
5. Disable background auto-refresh. Apps that keep refreshing themselves while you are not using them represent a huge waste of electricity.
More Power to You
In addition to following these tips to conserve battery power in your smartphone, you can gain greater peace of mind by using one of ProClip’s charging holders, which keep a phone fully charged while on the road, keeping you and your passengers safe.