US Department of Transportation Issues Emergency Declaration for HOS Relief
US Department of Transportation Issues Emergency Declaration
Last week, the United States Department of Transportation issued a national emergency declaration to provide relief to commercial vehicle drivers transporting emergency relief in response to the nationwide coronavirus pandemic. The declaration provides relief for hours-of-service (HOS) regulations.
“This declaration will help America’s commercial drivers get these critical goods to impacted areas faster and more efficiently. FMCSA is continuing to closely monitor the coronavirus outbreak and stands ready to use its authority to protect the health and safety of the American people,” said FMCSA Acting Administrator Jim Mullen.
FMCSA’s declaration provides for regulatory relief for commercial motor vehicle operations providing direct assistance supporting emergency relief efforts intended to meet immediate needs for:
- Medical supplies and equipment related to the testing, diagnosis and treatment of COVID-19.
- Supplies and equipment, including masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, soap and disinfectants, necessary for healthcare worker, patient and community safety, sanitation, and prevention of COVID-19 spread in communities.
- Food for emergency restocking of stores.
- Equipment, supplies and persons necessary for establishment and management of temporary housing and quarantine facilities related to COVID-19.
- Persons designated by Federal, State or local authorities for transport for medical, isolation or quarantine purposes.
- Personnel to provide medical or other emergency services.
To ensure continued safety on the nation’s roadways, the emergency declaration stipulates that once a driver has completed his or her delivery, the driver must receive a minimum of 10 hours off duty if transporting property, and 8 hours if transporting passengers.
Support from ProClip USA
The safety of fleet operations is a top priority. ProClip USA remains dedicated to providing support and the parts needed to keep fleets moving important cargo throughout the country. If your fleet and/or warehouse needs support with mounting tablets (ELDs), phones, scanners and printers please contact us at email@example.com.