You Cracked Your Screen – Can You Trust 3rd Party Phone Repairs?
When you crack your phone screen, you have three options: insurance, your phone’s manufacturer, or third party phone repairs. Third party repairs are usually the cheapest option, but there are a few downsides.
Your Options for Phone Repair
- Insurance. If you were fortunate enough to have insurance, you can usually get your phone repaired by shipping it in. Of course, the downside to this is that you may be without a phone for some time — and you need to have been paying for insurance the entire time.
- Manufacturer. Most phone manufacturers want to maintain and repair phones on their own. An iPhone is taken back to Apple, while a Google Pixel is taken to Google’s UBreakIFix. This can be more expensive and have longer lead times, but it has the advantage of keeping your phone’s warranty in place.
- Third party repairs. Third party repairs may be done with a manufacturer’s own parts or it may be done with after market (similar) parts. While most third party repairs are just as good as a manufacturer’s repairs, there’s no guarantee that they will be. Furthermore, though it’s more affordable, it may void your warranty.
Keep Your Phone Safe
Regardless of how you choose to get your phone repaired, it’s always better to protect it to begin with. Phone screen repairs are expensive, but they can be avoided through the use of:
- A protective phone case with impact bumpers.
- A screen protector to protect the screen from scratches.
- A ProClip mounting solution to keep your phone secure in the car.
There are also parts you can attach to the back of your phone to keep it more secure in your hand — and they can double as a stand for when you watch videos on your phone.
Ultimately, you can get your phone repaired in a few ways, but all of them have some pros and cons. Working directly with your phone’s manufacturer is likely to be more expensive, but you keep your warranty; working with a third party may get you cheaper results, but they may be less satisfactory.