Annoyed by Noisy Facebook Videos Starting up In Your News Feed? Here’s How to Disable Autoplay
You may be minding your own business, catching up on your Facebook News Feed on your iPhone, only to be surprised by the sound of a video that starts playing automatically. This can be embarrassing, especially if you’re disturbing other people around you because you forgot to bring your earphones.
You may not want videos to automatically play because you do not want the distraction and are trying to resist temptation during office hours. Another reason you would want to disable videos from auto-playing whenever Facebook slips them into your feed is to save money on your iPhone’s cellular data plan. Many users do not want to stream videos from social media sites like Facebook unless they can do so for free, via public Wi-Fi networks.
While the idea of videos automatically playing in the News Feed might be seen as a welcome convenience, for others, the ability to control when videos play on their iPhone is much more important.
How to Disable Autoplay of Facebook Videos on iPhone
Anyone who wants more control over how videos play or autoplay on his or her iPhone can do so with a quick setting change, noted a recent report from iPhone Life.
- Launch the Facebook app on your iPhone.
- Tap the menu tab (icon with 3 short horizontal lines), located on the bottom right of your device’s screen.
- Scroll down until you see the “Settings” option, and then select it.
- Tap “Account Settings.”
- Tap the “Videos and Photos” option.
- Tap “On Wi-Fi Connections Only” if you’re fine with Facebook videos playing automatically using a free network. Select “Never Autoplay Videos” to keep Facebook from launching these videos in your feed.
If you are like most social media users, you spend an average of 35 minutes each day on Facebook (according to the latest statistics as cited by Social Media Today). Instead of holding your iPhone for all of that time while you check out your Facebook News Feed, you’ll find it much more convenient to mount it in a table stand. This makes your device easy to reach as well as keep it positioned at the best viewing angle.